Sunday, February 13, 2011

Yesterday's thankful thought

Last night was kinda crazy, so I didn't get to write down my thankful thought for the day, though I did take the time to stop and be thankful. And unfortunately, I don't yet have a picture of my thought, though I am trying to figure out a way to get one without anyone noticing. Yesterday, I was thankful for our new and un-announced yet still instituted


Family Reading Time.


Chicken's preschool is having a contest right now, more of an incentive program really. The children are supposed to bring a list of books read to school each day (she goes MWF) and whoever reads the most at the end of the month will get a prize. We had already been trying to read a book before bed and I would read during the day if the kid's asked so this contest didn't really cause us to read per se. What it has caused us to do is visit the library more frequently and to read more than just that one book.

I believe that what has prompted our family get together on the couch each evening is not the preschool challenge, but the challenge from church. I truly believe that my husband and I are taking the time to spend quality time with our children because of what we have been learning in church. I am so grateful that we have been having these sermons because they have really enriched and bettered our lives as we try and practiced what has been preached. Due to the fact that God's design for our lives has been brought to the forefront, we are -whether consiously or uncounsiously- making a point to fulfill our roles as we should be. 

I know I personally am making a very concious effort to spend more quality time with my kids. In today's message, the preacher quoted a study that found that fathers spend THIRTY-SEVEN SECONDS of engaged conversation with their two year olds!! How sad is that?!?!?! That is why I am glad that my husband and I are spending time reading to our children in the evening before bed. We all pile onto the couch (much like the Simpsons do), and get settled in with a book, or two, or three. We always laugh and point out the funny things in the story, talk about the story, and just enjoyed being together on the couch.

I know I've heard it a thousand times before, and have probably said it to myself just as many, but they are only little for a little while. There will come a day when they won't want to sit on the couch and read with us, so that is why (although everyday) yesterday I was thankful for our Family Reading Time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please, add a little sanity to my insanity!