Monday, February 21, 2011

Time for some thought

You know, it has been a while since I wrote down my thankful thoughts, or for that matter any of my thoughts. So today, I think I shall give it a go. 

Somedays, you just have to wonder. What does it all mean? What does it mean to be who you are? What does it mean to follow or lead? What does it mean to be happy with your world both outside your home and inside? I don't claim to be some great philosopher or thinker of great thoughts and to be honest the odds of getting a great thought out of me is slim to none. But have you ever just stopped to think about life and what it all means?

In my quest to be a better wife and mother (see Goals one and two for the year) I have taken some time to stop and think about my life, where it was, where it is, and where it is going. I know that seems like an awful deep thing to think about, but at some point everyone needs to sit down and assess the situation as it were. I mean, afterall we only get one life so we better make sure that it is what we want it to be. So upon assessing my life at least in part, I have come to three conclusions:

  •  God is in control of my life
  •  Life can't get much better than this here on Earth
  •  I have dreams yet to be fullfilled

Are these deep, philosophical conclusions? No, I already told you that wasn't my goal. These are just the basic summation of my look into me. I suppose you might want to know how I came to these conclusions. Even if you didn't I'm going to tell you anyway. Perhaps seeing how I looked at things will help you as you look in to your own life.

God is in control of my life.
When I looked at my past and all that brought me to where I am now, it's not hard to see the hand of God in my life. Not only with the introduction of my husband, but other circumstances as well. Aside from meeting Joshua, I can, without thinking, come up with two other examples of God in my life. One being when a $7000.00 hospital bill suddenly became $175.00 and then that money was sent back to us stamped "written off" and the other would be the way that my youngest son El Segundo came into this world. I know of others, and maybe someday I'll take the time to write more about them, but for now I'll just leave it with those two. They are, at least to me, two very strong indicators that I am not in control; although, sometimes I like to believe I am and that's when I get knocked down to my knees.

Life can't get much better than this here on Earth
I know, this one seems a bit strange, huh? Especially since a few posts ago I was complaining about not having enough money to go around. But I don't believe that money brings happiness. In fact, I think an excess of money brings more sorrow and pain that it does anything else. Just look at the majority of Hollywood!! The people with the most money are the ones constantly getting divorces and drug charges and all the other stuff you see on the newstands. However, having a husband who loves me, children who want to be like me, and a God who will never forsake me leaves me thinking that I've got it made! What more could a person really ask for that those three things? Some LDS witnesses once asked me if they could tell me how to be happy and I responded that I was pretty happy already. Then they asked me "Wouldn't you like to know how to be even happier?" to which I responded "I believe I'm about as happy as I'm going to get on Earth. My happiness waits for me in Heaven." They didn't know what to say! I hope it gave them something to think about though, and I hope it does you too.

I have dreams yet to be fulfilled
Who doesn't? I know that there is a chance that I may never get to do some of the things that I have dreamed about. But then I have already done things that I only dreamed about, like finding a wonderful man who loves me for me and having three of the most beautiful children in the world. What are my dreams yet to be fulfilled? I want to go to Ireland to watch the sheep grazing on the meadows, find the cure to some horrific disease, record a CD and swim the Great Barrier Reef among many. The dream I really wanted to come true before I died was to see the ocean, and unless God calls me home before then I will get to see it come June (but don't tell my kids, it's a suprise!).

All in all I would have to say that life is wonderful. It may be chaotic at times, down on your luck at others, and outright unbearable still other times. But if I can just remember that God is in control of my life, then the rest doesn't seem so bad. As long as I keep on His path, it will all work out in the end. I encourage you to step back and take a look at your own life. Really make sure you're where you're supposed to be. And if not, then ask God where you're supposed to be and He'll help you get there.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please, add a little sanity to my insanity!